Standard AC Motors & Gear Motors operate by simply connecting a capacitor and supplying power from a commercial power supply. Standard AC Motors & Gear Motors include the basic induction motor and reversible motor. In addition, Oriental Motor offers electromagnetic brake motors, synchronous motors, torque motors and watertight, dust-resistant motors to meet specific application requirements.
- AC Motor Fundamentals - AC motors are electric motors that rotate by using power from a commercial AC power supply. They are easy to handle and have features that can be conﬁgured at a low cost.
Speed Control Motors
For applications where variable speeds are necessary, typically an AC motor with an Inverter or brush motors are used. Brushless DC motors are an advanced option due to their wide speed range, low heat and maintenance-free operation. Stepper Motors offer high torque and smooth low speed operation.
- Guide to Carbon Neutrality: Getting Started Environmental considerations related to automation are attracting more attention as major nations announce carbon neutrality policies. Check out our products and services with hints about getting started with carbon neutrality.
- Carbon Neutral - A proposal of Brushless Motors Nowadays, the need for automation is accelerating from production equipment to everyday life. Motors are indispensable for automation. On the other hand, efforts to realize carbon neutrality are in full swing worldwide, and there is an urgent need to respond to energy saving and high efficiency in each field.
Meanwhile, high-efficiency and compact brushless motors (PM motors / circuits) are attracting attention as key parts for automation. Oriental Motor's brushless motors have been used in many devices and equipment. Introducing the strengths of our motors that contribute to solving problems.
- AGV/AMR Designs: Understanding Brushless Motor Benefits - With an evolving competitive market over the years leading to IOT (Internet of Things) or Industry 4.0., manufacturers are looking for smarter ways to get ahead of their competition. An example of this is the growing trend of Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs) and Autonomous Mobile Robots (AMRs), as well as an increase in automated storage and retrieval systems in both warehouses and manufacturing facilities. In this paper, we will provide an introduction to AGV/AMR and discuss why features and characteristics of geared brushless DC motors make them attractive for AGV/AMR’s drivetrain designs.
- Brushless DC Gear Motors vs Servo Motors vs Inverters - When it comes to speed control, you may think the choice is between an inverter driven three-phase motor or servo motor, but did you know that brushless DC motors specialize in speed control? The brushless DC gear motor is growing in popularity in the world of speed control. However, not everyone is familiar with the power and performance to cost aspects of the brushless DC gear motor. Even in usage situations where it has demonstrated its capabilities, it tends to lag behind the two leading players, the inverter driven three-phase motor and the servo motor. This article introduces the capability of brushless DC gear motors, as well as points to consider when choosing a compact speed control motor.
- Speed Control Methods of Various Types of Speed Control Motors - A large number of motors are being used for general purposes in our surroundings from house-hold equipment to machine tools in industrial facilities. The electric motor is now a necessary and indispensable source of power in many industries. The function and the performance required for these motors are wide-ranging. When focusing attention on the speed control segment of the motor market, servo and stepper motors control their speed with a pulse train, while the induction motor and the brushless DC gear motor control speed with an external resistor and/or DC voltage.
- How to select between AC, Brushless DC and Brushed DC Motors - Comparison of speed control motor technology.
Stepper motors are used to achieve precise positioning via digital control. The motor operates by accurately synchronizing with the pulse signal output from the controller to the driver. Stepper motors, with their ability to produce high torque at low speed while minimizing vibration, are ideal for applications requiring quick positioning over a short distance.
- In-house Robots - Demand for robots has been increasing in recent years as factories seek to improve productivity and save labor through equipment automation. At the same time, however, commercially available industrial robots are large and difficult to install on production lines. Learn more now!
- MRC01 Robot Controllers and SCARA Robots - The MRC01 robot controller supports easy programing and control of in-house designed custom built robots with 3 simple steps: “Initial Setup”, “Operation Programing” and “Operational Checking”. Use the AZ Series family of products to support your in-house design for improved performance and ease of use.
- Modular Automation: Advanced Solution for Tomorrows Automation - Modular Automation Products are a group of products that share the common features of being battery-powered, compact and light weight. Optimized for use in self-propelled devices and mobile equipment, they contribute to the realization of flexible automation lines and mobile automation, which will be required more in the future.
- Unipolar / Bipolar Connections for 2-Phase Stepper Motors - Unipolar and bipolar connections for 2-phase stepper motors.
- Stepper Motor Glossary of Terms
- 2-phase (0.9°/1.8°) and 5-phase (0.36°/0.72°) Stepper Motor Comparison - Learn the similarities and differences of two core stepper motor technologies.
- Improving Stepper Motor Design for Torque and Vibration - Learn the advantages offered by high torque motors to machine builders.
- Industrial Network Communications - FLEX products In order to meet various requirements, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and motors/drivers in equipment have been connected in numerous ways, such as pulse train, digital I/O, and fieldbus networks. We have developed products that can be connected to multiple industrial networks. They can be connected to an I/O device and Modbus RTU network. They can also be connected to other field bus networks through a Network Converter (our gateway product). The products can be flexibly connected to a host PLC and it allow customers to select a system depending on their needs. We call this concept FLEX. Since some of the FLEX products have a positioning function, positioning units of host PLCs can be omitted and costs of equipment can be reduced. The FLEX products allow customers to reduce costs and time of developing equipment by using each merit of industrial networks.
A linear actuator incorporating a motor and linear-motion mechanism. Drawing on our expertise as a motor manufacturer, Oriental Motor offers a wide range of linear motion products in various shapes and sizes, featuring different motor types, drive methods and power inputs.
- Method for Calculating Moment Loads on Linear Actuators - An electric linear actuator is a combination product consisting of a linear mechanism and an electric motor, and when pre-assembled offers an easier design, shorter installation time, and high quality. While the actuator is operating, moment loads occur due to not only gravity, but also because of acceleration and deceleration of the load. Because moment loads can damage actuators, confirming that they are within specification is critical. However, calculating moment loads on linear actuators can be complicated and time consuming. This paper describes a method for calculating moment loads in a simple way and makes actuator selection easier.
- Electric Grippers that Supports Automation One of the latest industrial trend globally is adopting electric grippers for automated production equipment in factories. In recent years, Robots are receving increased attention in an effort to reduce labour and increase efficiency. Oriental Motor's EH Series Electric Gripper are available as a 2-finger-type or 3-finger-type and is distinct for it's compact and lightweight size, and is suitable for applications that require delicate grip.
Oriental Motor offers a wide range of cooling fans, including a cooling module suitable for enclosure cooling, axial flow fans for local cooling, as well as fans with low-speed or stall alarms or variable flow type.
- Cooling Fans Structure, Air Flow Static Pressure Characteristics, and Heat Protection - Overheated equipment can lead to many problems, including failure, shorter product life, early deterioration of parts, malfunction, and other safety risks. Cooling fans and blowers are essential to applications in the presence of heat. In order to avoid these problems, the appropriate cooling unit for these systems must be selected. The features of cooling fans differ according to their air-blowing system. The following explains the structure of axial fans, centrifugal blowers and cross flow fans, as well as air flow-static pressure characteristics. Overheat protection is also discussed through the use of low-speed alarms, stall alarms, and thermal protectors.
- How to Select a Cooling Fan - To properly select a particular fan for an application, the detailed requirements must be known. This article goes through the steps of selecting a cooling fan. Cooling fans and blowers are essential to applications where temperatures must be maintained or withstand the presence of heat. In order to avoid problems, the appropriate cooling unit for these systems must be selected.
- Motor Sizing Calculations - Proper sizing and selection of a motor for your equipment is key to ensuring performance, reliability and cost of the equipment. Learn about the procedure and calculations for properly sizing a motor for your application.
- Supporting In-house Production of Robots with Our Products and Services - Many manufacturers are interested in the many benefits of automating transportation and basic tasks. However, it is also clear that the deployment of robots requires a large initial investment and sufficient installation space, two things that are often not feasible for companies. This is why in-house production of robots has been gaining attention. Oriental Motor has published case studies on in-house robot production, has released a lineup of robot controllers that can be used with our freely-provided control software. We asked Hiroshi Yamakoshi, Head of the Product Planning Section in the Product Planning Department of the Sales Division, to give us an overview of Oriental Motors in-house robots.
- Modular Automation Products to Help Automate Future Technologies - There is increasing demand for systems that can respond to changes in manufacturing, such as labor shortages and shortened product life cycles. As a result, companies are accelerating their efforts to use automation as a substitute for human workers and to achieve production line modularization. Oriental Motor has developed product lines that contribute to automation as “Modular Automation Products” and has begun to market them to customers. We asked Hiroshi Yamakoshi, Head of the Product Planning Section in the Product Planning Department of the Sales Division at Oriental Motor, to give us an overview of Modular automation products.
For Singapore: 1800-842-0280
For Malaysia: +60-3-22875778
For Thailand: 1800-888-881
For India: 1800-120-1995
For Other countries: +65-6745-7344
Mon - Fri: 8:45 AM - 5:45 PM (SGT)
Sat/Sun/Public Holiday: Closed